Friday, May 01, 2015

The piece from a recent Portandia called SHOCKING ART SUPPLIES makes me laugh every time I watch it. The cameo by Shepard Farey is perfect. It's not that a majority of the art students that I have worked with are like that - in fact most are not - but those who fit the bill - they REALLY fit the bill. In ways that are both slightly annoying and endearing simultaneously.

The reality is that there are as many stereotypes for people who teach art as there are for people who study it. Both born from the same places of wanting to be identified? Or born from a sense of the other's frustration with how to deal with the other?


I remember years ago being at a CAA (College Art Association) annual meeting - either in NYC or DC - and suddenly realizing that I was the only person wearing something colorful in a sea of black and grey and sometimes muted shades of purple. (I wasn't looking for a job or interviewing. I was there to speak on a panel and didn't feel like I had anything to prove.)
 

Uniforms. We all have them.  Some we put on ourselves and others are put on us.





My find for the day is from Kelly O'Brien's blog (which I highly recommend).  It is about the British artist Rena Gardiner.  It is wonderful to discover people like Rena, whose work is like a breath of fresh air. 






If you want a feast for the eyes - just google Rena Gardiner images and enjoy.  I am getting the book coming out immediately.




No comments: