Monday, July 01, 2013

whooooosh travel.

Whoosh travel is when you are seeing too much in too short of a time and your brain shuts down a bit - at least in terms of writing.  The past few days that is my experience.  If this is Monday, it must be LONDON.  Yes - because I just heard the guy in the apartment across the way from me say "chin up" to console whoever it is he is talking to on the phone.

Brief snippet from Edinburgh - not the last of them for sure.  This women, and about 600 of her compatriots were part of an Orange walk on Saturday down High Street.  More about those here







I was surprised - having just seen the Sikhs walking in Toronto in April when I was there for the HASTAC Conference with Courtney.  Two "walks" by two VERY different groups - both featuring the color orange - although technically the Sikhs are sporting saffron.

The politics of the Orange walk are more overt - both by the "walkers" and the response from the people on the street (locals - not tourists).  They (some of the locals) tended to stay in their shops and mutter things like "it's a bad business" or "them lot are trouble - pure trouble."

My friend Dom had given me a little history the day before as he kindly drove me around the city. I've always thought of this as an "Irish problem."  So again - I find myself ignorant of history and wanting to learn more.

 
More info on the Sikhs in Toronto can be found here. Note the politics of the responses - that was pretty evident when we were there - particularly with one waitress who gave us the "lowdown." (Happy CANADA DAY today - to all and sundry - as Muriel would say).


Nice find:  Train station with a little bookstore, enroute from Inverness to Edinburgh.






 King Crossing Station - London.  More later.




No comments: