Friday, July 21, 2006

Reading


As I am ranting about the unfolding events this week - trying to make sense of it all - I've finished a book that I found oddly comforting - mostly because I thought it was going to be a lite "summer-read" and it made me think about so many other things, including the senseless events of late. I recommend Anderson Cooper's "Dispatches From the Edge: A Memoir of War, Disasters and Survival."

I have been wondering for quite awhile why I like the way this man does his job. I like to think it is more than just his waspy good looks - the blue-eyed, silver-haired wonder. It just seemed like there was something else there that was seeping through my hardened cynicism of anything that has to do with televised news. His book seems to answer some of those questions for me - although it hasn't done a heck of a lot for my hardened cynicism. He is not afraid to make connections between the personal and the global - between the people he is covering and himself. Is this why folks call him a "new breed of journalist" and question his ability to be objective. Where is there any objectivity on the news anyway? (Where is the news anyway?)

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has read this and what you think - either post here or email me.

1 comment:

Whitney said...

I actually was reading about this book in an article on the flight to Seattle en route to Canada...
I remember Anderson from his days as a Channel One newscaster.
I think I'll put this one on my reading list.