Monday, November 21, 2005

CAMIO: On-line Images


Testing an image database of online Art Museum Images. These are wonderful tools for teaching - in any subject - but particularly in art history and studio art/design courses. We are finding them great resources at MIAD as are many other educational institutions.

Their description (via MIAD Librarian, Cynthia Lynch):

Camio offers right-cleared, high quality art images for class projects, art history and studio art programs, course Web sites, lectures, presentations, and research resources. Access by subscription is available to universities and colleges public libraries, museums and schools.

I am counting on the fact that this blog is utilized (among other things) as a "course web site" and seeing how this works for posting images.

Your looking at:

OCTOPUS AND MELON, 1989
Michiko Kon, Japanese b. 1955

Getalin Silver Print
Cleveland Museum of Art

Lovely isn't it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never posted on-line before so even though I don't really want to be anonymous (although I am a woman & I've heard that's who she was) I wasn't sure about the other two identity options either. Have you used Artstor for on-line images? If so, how would you compare the two? The quality of the posted image looks great, yes, lovely.

Leslie Fedorchuk said...

I just happened to be online when you sent this so I'm answering right away....yes, the college I teach at has used ArtStor to date....although it is useful on many fronts, I am unable to log in and download/post images from home or elsewhere - unless I have logged-on within the MIAD main building within a previous three day period. As I am on sabbatical this year, this was problematic - especially when I am traveling and readying workshops/lectures on the road.

I like the contemporary images that Camio seems to have - this seems to be lacking on Artstor (although they are growing and I haven't looked lately). The photography on Camio is particularly useful for my purposes.

I have a longer article that compares the two. If you would like to email me off-blog I would be happy to send it to you. (lfedorch@miad.edu).