Thursday, September 29, 2005

Mind Work


So much of working on any new project involves time for reflecting. These early fall days it involves getting the dog in the car and getting lost on the logging trails that go through the forest (Hiawatha National). We drive and drive and park and walk until I start worrying about where I parked and have to back-track.

These days the issue is how to bind a book that is in process. I have been trying to stay in relationship with the project - not letting it spin our of control - remembering that I have the tools (inner and outer) needed to complete it. Most times if I drive far enough, walk long enough - the solution is right there.

The other day I heard writer Louise Erdrich being interviewed on KCRW's BookWorm. She said (talking about her practice of writing) that anything that takes up your mind and heart is a life quest. Yes. This is something I know to be true.

No comments: