Saturday, April 23, 2005

From Jeff Filipiak

Well, on this Earth Day eve I went to a talk about the event’s founder, Gaylord Nelson. Nelson is discouraged today about efforts to roll back what the environmental movement has achieved, and appropriately so. But I thought I’d send out a few words of hope in my annual Earth Day message (2005 Polish-heritage edition); trying to take inspiration from valuing what we do have.

To appreciate how the nonhuman and parklike places provide us places for reflection. I was struck, while watching coverage of the life of Pope John Paul II, by the value he found in trips to nature (especially taking risky group tours under Communist rule in Poland). Such trips, short or long, can be a moment for taking what we cherish, taking what we ponder, with us. Taking those thoughts away from the forces that would insist on us making certain choices, following certain behaviors. A space for helping us discover who we want to be; remind ourselves what we want to appreciate; focus on what we think life really is about.

And also, on a less 'long bright day of the soul' kind of level, a place for refreshing pauses through observation. As my Grandma Florence suggested (and practiced), people taking time out to watch the birds could find a lot to appreciate…

So I hope you enjoy a Happy Earth Day Weekend,

No comments: